Saturday, November 6, 2010

Who Would Have Thought.....

Well, we've completed the insulation as of a few days ago and are now enjoying the warmth, in fact, a bit too much warmth! While we've spent the last 3 winters freezing our butts off in the 5th wheel, we are now way too warm! It's fine if we leave the heater on low, but you put it on anything higher than the first setting and we're sweating and the dogs are panting.


So, while we still intend to install our beautiful little marine stove as at some point we will be using only solar/wind power, for now while we are hooked up to the grid, we're going to stay electric as it's now apparent that we're not going to wake up with icicles on our noses anytime soon :o)

That being said, I wanted something more attractive than my radiator style freestanding heater, so we picked up this little gem and I think it does the job nicely :o)

It uses less power than radiator heater we've been using (which was still very efficient), and it gives us that warm "wood" glow.

We'll finish off the platform that the heater is on in preparation of installing the woodstove at some point, but for now we're going to use the electric heater until we've got our alternate energy sources in place and are ready to travel off grid.

It's so exciting though to have a warm, toasty home that doesn't require much electricity to heat, and we should stay nice and cool in the Summer with as well as everything is insulated







5 comments:

  1. LOL at a glance it looks like the real thing! (I remember electric heaters from yonks ago that also had the apearance of a fire).

    Don't forget to leave a dish of water on the floor in front of the heater - it stops the air from drying out.

    Good to know that you're going to be warm enough in your Tiny Homestead this winter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! They've certainly come a long way since they first started putting these things out, they actually look presentable now :o) My husband said I was ready to move into a 55+ old person community with my electric "fire", apparently he's going to buy me garden gnomes and pink flamingos for Christmas to complete the look, laughs!
    Oh well, I don't care what he thinks, I like my little "fire".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering just how warm these homes are. I am debating whether I'd even need a heater in southern California. I know nighttime temps in winter can be close to freezing but days always warm up. Why take up space or pay for a heater if I'll end up not using it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I've seen many other tiny homeowners write about their homes and it seems that most of them get quite cold, so I don't know if maybe they aren't insulated properly, or if the specs from the plans that they have ordered don't account for full time living?
    I'm not sure, but I've seen several times, and even spoken with a few people who say that their tiny homes just don't seem to be as warm as they would like them.
    If anything, I would think our home would be cooler than others as we have more windows and there is more air volume in our home (thus requiring more time to heat up), but that doesn't seem to be the case. And I'm certainly not going to complain about being warm in the winter time! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, that is pretty! I want to get an enamel woodstove for our house when we finally get around to it financially. I miss not burning wood.

    ReplyDelete